- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3tbs coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200g pearl barley
- 650ml stock
- 350ml white wine.
- 300g mushrooms
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 100g sesame seeds
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 6 sundried tomatoes
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- few sprigs of tarragon (28g)
- 200g cranberries
- 25g unrefined sugar
- 200ml water
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large pot, sauté the shallots in the oil until translucent. Add the garlic cloves and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes. Add the ginger.
- Stir in the barley and coat in the oil. Add in the stock a ladle at a time. Stir regularly and simmer over a gentle heat until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, until the barley is tender. This process will take about 45 minutes. Once done switch off the heat.
- In a chopper, chop the seeds and the sundried tomatoes. Add to the pearl barley with the ginger and tarragon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the shallots.
- Take a cake tin and grease with oil and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a pan, dissolve the sugar in the water. Add the cranberries. Cook until the cranberries start to pop. Switch off the heat and layer at the bottom of the cake tin.
- Fold in the seed barley mixture and smooth over to all sides. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Roast the seeded roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Serve warm
• No cholesterol
• High in manganese
• High in magnesium
• Very high in vitamin B6
• Contains alcohol
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
Writer of “The Beginner’s Survival Guide to Veganism” to be published June 2017. It is intended to help others as they grow and find their personal brand and assist with a new way.
What price? The planet. Ethical veganism; it’s a life choice.
Edward Daniel | Lightworker | Presenter of “The Urban Forager”| Chef | Columnist | Corporate Commercial TMT Solicitor | Outgoing Chair, The Vegan Society
Subscribe to the EthiVegan channel – www.youtube.com/ethivegan
For more information about Edward, Meet the author – http://www.ethivegan.com/meet-the-author-edward-daniel/