- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3tbs coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200g pearl barley
- 650ml stock
- 350ml white wine.
- 300g mushrooms
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 100g sesame seeds
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 6 sundried tomatoes
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- few sprigs of tarragon (28g)
- 200g cranberries
- 25g unrefined sugar
- 200ml water
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large pot, sauté the shallots in the oil until translucent. Add the garlic cloves and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes. Add the ginger.
- Stir in the barley and coat in the oil. Add in the stock a ladle at a time. Stir regularly and simmer over a gentle heat until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, until the barley is tender. This process will take about 45 minutes. Once done switch off the heat.
- In a chopper, chop the seeds and the sundried tomatoes. Add to the pearl barley with the ginger and tarragon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the shallots.
- Take a cake tin and grease with oil and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a pan, dissolve the sugar in the water. Add the cranberries. Cook until the cranberries start to pop. Switch off the heat and layer at the bottom of the cake tin.
- Fold in the seed barley mixture and smooth over to all sides. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Roast the seeded roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Serve warm
• No cholesterol
• High in manganese
• High in magnesium
• Very high in vitamin B6
• Contains alcohol
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
Author of “The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” to be published Summer 2017. It is intended to help others as they grow and find their personal brand and assist with a new way.
What price? The planet. Ethical veganism; it’s a life choice.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Media Solicitor | Former Chair, The Vegan Society
EthiVegan Day Retreat with Edward Daniel
Saturday 15 July 2017 – Awaken to the Fifth Dimension, Highbury, London with Edward Daniel – places limited to 8 – click here
Saturday 23 September 2017 – Awaken to the Fifth Dimension, Highbury, London with Edward Daniel – places limited to 8 – click here
Talks by Edward Daniel
Wednesday 26 July 2017 to Sunday 30 July 2017 – Queer Spirit Summer Festival, Thoulstone Park, Wiltshire
Thursday 10 August 2017 to Sunday 13 August 2017 – Raw Fest 2017, Sunninghill, Berkshire
Friday 26 August 2017 to Sunday 27 August 2017 – Berlin Vegan Festival, Germany
Saturday 16 September 2017 – London Viva!
Saturday 30 September 2017 – National Veg Food and Lifestyle Festival, Manchester
Sunday 19 November 2017 – Edinburgh Vegan Festival
Sunday 26 November 2017 – Brighton Vegan Festival
Saturday 17 March 2018 – London Viva!