- 2 aubergines
- 1tbs coconut oil
- 30g porcini mushrooms
- 30g sundried tomatoes
- 8tbs filtered water
- 2tbs virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 2tbs flaxseeds, ground
- 2tbs cumin seeds, ground
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 25g tarragon
- 2tbs mint
- 225g breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 chili (optional)
- virgin olive oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 180 Celsius.
- Soak the mushrooms and tomatoes in the water. Set to one side.
- Heat the aubergines in oil in a large saucepan. Use a pair of tongues to turn the aubergines. Keep turning until the skin starts to blister.
- Transfer the aubergines into an ovenproof dish. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cool and set to one side. Remove and discard the skin.
- In a large bowl place mix together oil, juice, flaxseeds, cumin seeds, shallots, tarragon and mint.
- Place the aubergines in a food processor and roughly chop. Place into the linseed mixture.
- Drain the water into the aubergines mixture. Roughly chop mushroom and tomatoes and tip in too. Mix well. Add the breadcrumbs. Season to taste. Add the chopped chili.
- Using your hands knead into a dough. Use both hands to break off the dough and gently shape into small round balls. Set to one side
- When ready to serve sauté the balls and lightly brown. Serve immediately.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
Author of “The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” to be published Summer 2017. It is intended to help others as they grow and find their personal brand and assist with a new way.
What price? The planet. Ethical veganism; it’s a life choice.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Media Solicitor | Former Chair, The Vegan Society