- 2 aubergines
- 1tbs coconut oil
- 30g porcini mushrooms
- 30g sundried tomatoes
- 8tbs filtered water
- 2tbs virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 2tbs flaxseeds, ground
- 2tbs cumin seeds, ground
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 25g tarragon
- 2tbs mint
- 225g breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 chili (optional)
- virgin olive oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 180 Celsius.
- Soak the mushrooms and tomatoes in the water. Set to one side.
- Heat the aubergines in oil in a large saucepan. Use a pair of tongues to turn the aubergines. Keep turning until the skin starts to blister.
- Transfer the aubergines into an ovenproof dish. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cool and set to one side. Remove and discard the skin.
- In a large bowl place mix together oil, juice, flaxseeds, cumin seeds, shallots, tarragon and mint.
- Place the aubergines in a food processor and roughly chop. Place into the linseed mixture.
- Drain the water into the aubergines mixture. Roughly chop mushroom and tomatoes and tip in too. Mix well. Add the breadcrumbs. Season to taste. Add the chopped chili.
- Using your hands knead into a dough. Use both hands to break off the dough and gently shape into small round balls. Set to one side
- When ready to serve sauté the balls and lightly brown. Serve immediately.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
Author of “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” to be published 2 December 2017. It is intended to help others as they grow and find their personal brand and assist with a new way.
What price? The planet. Ethical veganism; it’s a life choice.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Media Solicitor | Former Chair, The Vegan Society