- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3tbs coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200g pearl barley
- 650ml stock
- 350ml white wine.
- 300g mushrooms
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 100g sesame seeds
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 6 sundried tomatoes
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- few sprigs of tarragon (28g)
- 200g cranberries
- 25g unrefined sugar
- 200ml water
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large pot, sauté the shallots in the oil until translucent. Add the garlic cloves and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes. Add the ginger.
- Stir in the barley and coat in the oil. Add in the stock a ladle at a time. Stir regularly and simmer over a gentle heat until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, until the barley is tender. This process will take about 45 minutes. Once done switch off the heat.
- In a chopper, chop the seeds and the sundried tomatoes. Add to the pearl barley with the ginger and tarragon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the shallots.
- Take a cake tin and grease with oil and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a pan, dissolve the sugar in the water. Add the cranberries. Cook until the cranberries start to pop. Switch off the heat and layer at the bottom of the cake tin.
- Fold in the seed barley mixture and smooth over to all sides. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Roast the seeded roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Serve warm
• No cholesterol
• High in manganese
• High in magnesium
• Very high in vitamin B6
• Contains alcohol
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
What future would you like to paint? What I say is that it is possible to lead a fulfilling life by going within, living in alignment, letting go of the past and thriving on a vegan diet.
If you want to uncover your purpose and live a more enriching life, why not purchase my book “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism”?
Thanks for viewing my recipes and interviews.
Love you all.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Media IT IP Solicitor | Author | Presenter | Former Chair, The Vegan Society