Recipe: Crispy Beetroot Potato Bake in a Marrow Seaweed Sauce
Crispy Beetroot Potato Bake in a Marrow Seaweed Sauce came about as I had my Cornish friends, Jon and Jules visiting me. They had travelled a long way to London. My friends Dominica and Marcin had left some organic marrow in the garden. It was time to get creative in the kitchen and although I was meant to come up with something this recipe was a joint effort in its making. It so much simpler having three chefs in the kitchen rather than one. What I love about this dish is the crispy texture of the beetroot and potato that sit over the marrow seaweed sauce. Each plant has its own flavour and not submerged by the taste of others. Marrow has a very delicate flavour too.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Main
- 15g Seaweed (Noris) dried
- 1 whole marrow (about 1.5kg)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1tsp chervil
- ½ tsp sumac
- 1tsp rosemary, chopped
- 25g nutritional yeast
- 1tsp salt
- 1 red onion
- 2tsb coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1tsp coriander seeds
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- pepper to season
- For the bake
- 1kg beetroots
- 1kg potatoes
- 2tbs coconut oil
- ½tsp salt
- Couple of sprigs of rosemary
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the Seaweed into a chopper to roughly chop. Remove and place in a bowl of filtered water. Set to one side.
- Skin the marrow and juice in a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the chervil, sumac, rosemary, nutritional yeast and salt to the marrow
- Sauté the onion in the coconut oil until translucent. Add the garlic, coriander and mustard and seeds continue cooking under a medium heat for a couple of minutes until the coriander seeds start to turn golden. Switch off the heat and transfer to the marrow in the bowl.
- Taking a mandolin or spiraliser, finely slice the beetroots and potatoes. Transfer to a large bowl with melted coconut oil and salt. Use a spatula to turn the sliced vegetables so that they are covered in oil.
- Line the marrow in a large ovenproof dish. Line the beetroot and potato on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Switch off the oven and allow the oven’s heat to permit the bake to continue cooking.
- After 15 minutes remove from the oven and serve.