Grapple with a taste sensation and pert those lips.
Creamy silk Lemon Mousse with a hint of tangy citrus cardamon and aromatic sweet saffron threads.
This dish will throttle any belief that vegan food can’t be this rich and lush.
- When you’ve got a last-minute dinner party and have a million things to get organised as you get the home ready
- When you’ve run out of most goodies at home to give the kiddies a little treat and in your pantry, you have silken tofu and coconut milk
- When you’ve got the ladies over for a little bolly, and dressing up is not an option without a little sweet that’ll tickle your fancy
Lemon Mousse was inspired from when I was in the Amalfi coast with an ex-beau and having sampled the local cuisine. A little light lemon mousse was on the menu that was simply heavenly.
Lemons originate from India, brought over by the Arabs and cultivated in Genoa, Italy. And, while their derogatory association with “loser” is a tad unfair. Their acidity and sturdy skins is what gives their unique flavour and elevates dishes to new found frenzied heights.
As a pale ovate yellow citrus fruit, they have this lush quality to them Isn’t it time to release the shackles of the past and welcome these fruits into our bosoms and be grateful for their ready availability.
Lemon Mousse is vegan.
- 2 lemons, juice
- ½ lemon, zest
- 75g raw unrefined sugar cane
- 500g silken tofu
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2tbs corn starch
- 3 cardamon pods
- Couple of drops of lemon essence (optional)
- Pinch of saffron threads (about 10)
- Pinch of salt
- Remove the seeds of the cardamon.
- In a high-speed blender blend the saffron threads, corn starch with the coconut milk. Transfer to a non-stick pan. Slowly bring to the boil. Reduce and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cover and set to one side.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the high-speed blender and once the coconut milk has cooled add in. Whizz until the mousse becomes airy. Pour the mousse into serving dishes.
- Chill in the fridge for about an hour.
- Serve garnished with chopped pistachios.