Moong Masoor Dal
Moong Masoor Dal, otherwise Mung Bean Red Lentil Curry was created for an acquaintance of mine looking for a quick and easy dal recipe.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 200g mung beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1tbs cumin powder
- 1tbs coriander powder
- 1tbs turmeric powder
- 2ltr filtered water
- 200ml red lentils
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Pomegranate for garnishing (optional)
- Soak the mung beans overnight in water. Drain and wash in fresh water removing any grit.
- Place the onion, garlic and oil in a pressure cooker with the lid off. Cook until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric powders and form a marsala paste. Add mung beans and the measured water. Seal with the lid and place under pressure for about 20 minutes. Remove from the pressure.
- Wash the red lentils in water and add to the pressure cooker and cook under a gentle heat for about 20 minutes until the lentils have melted and discoloured. Stir occasionally.
- Just before serving combine in and garnish the dish with coriander leaves and optional pomegranate.