- 1kg peppers (Spanish, if possible)
- 400g tomatoes
- 6tbs olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 750ml filtered water
- 200g lentils
- 1tsp harissa (optional)
- Couple of sprigs of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1tbs lemon juice
- Preheat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius.
- Roast the peppers and tomatoes in separate ovenproof dishes and baste on the olive oil. Add more oil to the peppers than the tomatoes
- Bake the peppers and tomatoes in the oven for about 30 minutes – until the skin of peppers starts to char. Remove from the oven and set aside. Retain the juices.
- Once the peppers and tomatoes have cooled, peel off the skin.
- Soak the lentils in filtered water for about 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the retained juices for a couple of minutes until the onion turns translucent. Add the peppers, tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set to one side for a few minutes.
- Place the broth into a blender in batches and whizz till a fine consistency. Return to the saucepan.
- Take the lentils and oregano and add to the saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. If you want a kick add the harissa but that is optional.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice.
- Serve with bread.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
Thank you for taking the time to view my recipes, interviews and events pages. I hope I inspire you to make these recipes and also inspire you to become very best versions of yourself.
You can follow me on Instagram here (@ethivegan) where I have quick one minute update videos and for interviews and cooking demonstrations you can subscribe to my Youtube channel here. You can watch live cooking demonstrations by subscribing to my Facebook profile here (@ethivegan).
See you soon.
Edward Daniel | Vegan Chef