Bring your tempestuous side to the fore. And, indulge.
Earthy succulent sweet potato with sweet caramelised onions infused with liquorice-like tarragon; Sweet Potato Caramelised Onion Soup.
This dish will topple your belief that vegan food can’t be super nourishing.
- When you fancy a hearty soup as you surround your shoulders with a warm blanket
- When you’ve just had a brisk walk in the blistering cold and need a bite to heat you up in no time
- When you’re rushed for time and need a light broth to set you on your way as you gear up for a big night out
Sweet Potato Caramelised Onion Soup was inspired when one stark cold evening, I needed a nourishing meal that’d keep me warm as I save my pennies on the heating bill.
Sweet potatoes have a low glycaemic index, good for those suffering from diabetes and others that monitor their blood sugar level.
Sweet Potato Caramelised Onion Soup is vegan and paleo.
- 1 litre filtered water
- 200g mushrooms
- 4 onions, sliced
- 6tsb olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, grated
- 400ml coconut milk
- Season to taste
- Few sprigs of Tarragon
- In a saucepan, place the mushrooms in water and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Drain and keep the stock. Discard the mushrooms.
- In a large non-stick pan, add the coconut oil and onions. Saute the onions under a medium to low heat until they caramelise. Stir the pan at regular intervals for about 15 minutes.
- Add the grated sweet potato, mushroom stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste. Garnish with tarragon.
- Serve warm.