Baked Jerusalem Artichokes in almond cream, citrus lemon, shallot, garlic, lemony tarragon and sour barberries.
Wrap your tonsils round something lush and bite.
This dish will burst your belief that vegan food can’t taste this sensational.
- When the taste sensations overtake you and you need a hearty meal to quench your desires
- When the mood overtakes as you plunge for the Jerusalem Artichokes at your local farmer’s market
- When you’ve got an uber dinner party to organise and need a glamourous super lush to wow your guests
Baked Jerusalem Artichokes was inspired when I’d happened upon some Jerusalem Artichokes in torrential rain at the local farmer’s market. I nabbed some tarragon and tossed in some lemon, experimenting with almond cream.
This savoury dish is vegan and paleo.
What equipment to use
For this recipe, I suggest:
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 500g Jerusalem artichokes
- 100g almonds, blanched
- 600ml filtered water
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 10g barberries
- 1 lemon
- Few sprigs of tarragon
- Season to taste
- If you have skinned almonds, place in boiling water, leave for a few minutes and peel off the skin. You may need to submerge in another batch of boiling water. Set blanched almonds to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or if a convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Thinly slice the Jerusalem artichokes, no need to peel the skin off. Place in a large mixing bowl. Cover with oil.
- Whizz the almonds in water in a high-speed blender until it creams. Pour over the Jerusalem artichokes. Mix in the chopped shallot, garlic, tarragon and barberries and transfer to a baking dish. Insert in sliced lemon.
- Season to taste.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Serve warm.