Banana Bread with Chocolate Frosting
Banana Bread with Chocolate Frosting came about because I recently had a survey undertaken asking my followers what they wanted to see more of. Desserts seem to be the preference with much simpler ingredients. So, here we go… This banana bread is soft and light and the chocolate frosting just gives it that added sweetness.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Cake, Dessert
- 100g sultanas
- 75g port
- 250g “00” doppio flour
- 100g coconut unrefined sugar
- 1tbs baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 50g cherries, destoned and halved (optional)
- 100g coconut oil
- 2tbs flaxseed, ground
- 6tbs water
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 500g bananas
- For the frosting
- 200g creamed coconut
- 50g unrefined cane sugar
- 1tbs cocoa powder
- 2tbs flaxseeds, ground
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 170 degrees.
- Soak the sultanas in port and set to one side for about an hour until the sultanas plump up.
- Melt the coconut oil and leave to one side.
- Whisk the flaxseed with the water and leave to one side.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the walnuts and cherries (if using). On a low setting on the mixer combine.
- Add the oil and flaxseed mixture to the bowl. Combine well.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and continue blending.
- Mash the bananas and add to the bowl. Bring the ingredients together.
- Lightly oil and line a loaf tin with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the tin. Smooth over the top and cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven for about an hour or until a skewer runs through. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes before turning over onto a wire rack. Keep the cake in the baking paper.
- To make the frosting, melt the creamed coconut over a gentle heat. Add the sugar. Combine weil. Once the sugar has melted into the coconut sift in the cocoa powder and add the flaxseeds. Stir until well combined. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Once the cake has cooled gently with the back of spatula layer the frosting onto the cake. Allow the frosting to drip over the sides. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.