- 100g sultanas
- 75g port
- 250g “00” doppio flour
- 100g coconut unrefined sugar
- 1tbs baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 50g cherries, destoned and halved (optional)
- 100g coconut oil
- 2tbs flaxseed, ground
- 6tbs water
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 500g bananas
- For the frosting
- 200g creamed coconut
- 50g unrefined cane sugar
- 1tbs cocoa powder
- 2tbs flaxseeds, ground
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 170 degrees.
- Soak the sultanas in port and set to one side for about an hour until the sultanas plump up.
- Melt the coconut oil and leave to one side.
- Whisk the flaxseed with the water and leave to one side.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the walnuts and cherries (if using). On a low setting on the mixer combine.
- Add the oil and flaxseed mixture to the bowl. Combine well.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and continue blending.
- Mash the bananas and add to the bowl. Bring the ingredients together.
- Lightly oil and line a loaf tin with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the tin. Smooth over the top and cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven for about an hour or until a skewer runs through. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes before turning over onto a wire rack. Keep the cake in the baking paper.
- To make the frosting, melt the creamed coconut over a gentle heat. Add the sugar. Combine weil. Once the sugar has melted into the coconut sift in the cocoa powder and add the flaxseeds. Stir until well combined. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Once the cake has cooled gently with the back of spatula layer the frosting onto the cake. Allow the frosting to drip over the sides. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
What future would you like to paint? What I say is that it is possible to lead a fulfilling life by going within, living in alignment, letting go of the past and thriving on a vegan diet.
To find out more of what is happening in my life, journey, and travels – as I balance work as a full-time solicitor, being a vegan chef and creating new recipes, speaking at vegan events on animal rights, the environment, spirituality and activism in the United Kingdom and abroad, and write my next book then follow me:
Or, self-published, order your copy of my first book “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” in the three part “Circle of Food” series which is currently out here. Reviews of this book can be found on Amazon here.
My second book in the “Cirlce of Food” series is entitled “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” covers animal rights/welfare and liberation (using my skills as a lawyer), spiritual chapters on living in the present, balancing the masculine and feminine, the Mandela effect, the Universal laws, and has even more recipes and poetry is out in 2020.
As I self-fund all my activities from my work as a solicitor – including self-publishing and attending events it is matter of living in alignment and the Universe in its wisdom will provide – and, of course, I have time to balance it all and simply create.
My end goal is to host my own T.V. show on vegan recipes and on veganism. Please support me in my quest.
Love you all.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Digital Information and Media Solicitor | Author | Poet | Presenter | Former Chair, The Vegan Society