Tantalise your tastebuds with pure exquisiteness.
Succulent tangy burst Blueberry Pie infused with citrus lemon and earthy cinnamon on a millet teff pastry bed.
This dish will obliterate any belief that vegan food can’t be scrumptious.
- When your laden with blueberries following a scrounge at your local farmer’s market
- When you fancy a slice of indulgence with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream in tow
- When you’ve got a festive bug and you’re grappling with your dancing hips and a mouth-watering dish beckons
Blueberry Pie was inspired when I’d discovered reduced price Blueberries at my local supermarket. Always, up for a bargain I grabbed the remaining punnets, enthused I could make Blueberry Pie.
Blueberry Pie is a vegan dessert and gluten-free.
- For filling
- 660g blueberries, fresh
- 50g raw unrefined cane sugar
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1tsp agar agar
- For pastry
- 100g millet
- 50g teff flour
- 50g tapioca flour
- 40g oats
- 40g flaxseeds
- 25g raw unrefined cane sugar
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch of salt
- 70ml filtered water
- 45ml olive oil
- Toss half of the blueberries into a saucepan and gently heat for about 5 minutes. As they burst switch of the heat and stir in the agar agar, sugar and lemon juice and remaining blueberries. Set to one side.
- Make the pastry by grinding the millet, oats, flaxseeds, and sugar In a high-speed food processor. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Toss in the teff, xanthan gum and salt.
- Pour in the oil and water. Knead into a dough and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if a convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Weigh the dough and divide the dough into 6 for 5-inch tart tins or alternatively, small tart tins. Line tartlets with olive oil. Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll into a circle. Shape the dough into the tart tin. Fork the dough.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture into the tins. If there is any extra dough, make into shapes. Brush the pastry with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the crust turns into a light golden colour.
- Remove from heat and set to one side.
- Serve warm with some ice cream or vegan cream. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.