Citrus Cranberry and Almond Mince Pies
Citrus Cranberry and Almond Mince Pies came about because I wanted to combine the taste of citrus with tart flavour of the cranberry. The crust is gluten free and contrasts with the richer flavours of the filling.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert, Pies
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
- For mincemeat
- 150g cooking apples
- 100ml port
- 200g cranberries
- 100g citrus peel (orange and lemon)
- 25g almonds, blanched and chopped
- 80g unrefined cane sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- ½ tsp mixed spice, ground
- ½ tsp mace, ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ground
- For the crust
- 210g “00” chickpea flour
- 105g tapioca flour
- 2tbs ground flaxseeds
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml filtered water
- 3tbs olive oil
- Lemon and orange peel
- In a large ceramic or wooden bowl place all the mince pie ingredients together. Combine well and cover with a cloth. Leave overnight or a couple of days. Typically, you would place in sterilised jars with the cap on top to let the fruit ferment for about a month.
- When ready to make the crust, mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the water and oil. Knead into a dough. Place the dough covered and leave in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius.
- Flour your surface before rolling the dough and shaping it for your tart tins. Fold the dough into the space.
- Spoon the mince pie mixture into the tins.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until the crust turns into a light golden colour.
- Remove from heat and set to one side.
- Garnish with lemon and orange peel.
- Serve warm with some ice cream or vegan cream.