- Few strands of saffron
- 50ml filtered water
- 30g barberries
- 100ml Marsala wine
- 30g almonds
- 300g rice (precooked)
- 450ml filtered water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves of India
- 3 cardamoms
- 1tbs cumin seeds
- Season to taste
- Soak the saffron in water and set aside.
- Soak the barberries in Marsala wine and set aside.
- Soak the almonds in boiling water. When cool, remove skins and flake into halves.
- Soak the rice in water for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Drain the rice and place into a saucepan or pressure cooker. Add 450ml filtered water and the cinnamon stick, cloves and cumin seeds. Break the cardamoms so that that the skin is slightly ajar; this permits the aroma to filter through. Cook on a low heat for about 15 minutes until the rice has absorbed the water. Permit the rice to steam if using a pressure cooker.
- Remove from heat. Work quickly to remove the cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms, and fluff in the drained barberries. Pour the saffron water over the top. Cover with a tea towel and reseal. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a large serving bowl. Add the almonds. Fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Season to taste.
- Serve warm.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
Thank you for taking the time to view my recipes, interviews and events pages. I hope I inspire you to make these recipes and also inspire you to become very best versions of yourself.
You can follow me on Instagram here (@ethivegan) where I have quick one minute update videos and for interviews and cooking demonstrations you can subscribe to my Youtube channel here. You can watch live cooking demonstrations by subscribing to my Facebook profile here (@ethivegan).
See you soon.
Edward Daniel | Vegan Chef