Languish in pure ecstasy as your tastebuds ravish the recesses of your soul.
Fluffy smashed potatoes infused with lashings of shredded sautéed cabbage, steamed kale and scallions; Colcannon.
This dish will obliterate any belief that vegan food can’t be super nourishing.
- When the rain is pelting it down your windows, as you sit huddled on the sofa; nothing but comfort food is on your menu
- When you’re fed up with bog standard mashed potatoes and want to infuse it with of umph!
- When you’ve got Aunt Mavis popping round for a spot of Sunday lunch and she’ll need pampering up
Colcannon was inspired cooking lavish meals with an ex-beau whose staple was potatoes when it came to meals. Colcannon has just a hint of pure excitement to make your adoration of potatoes extend to the next level. Colcannon is a traditional Irish recipe.
Colcannon is vegan and gluten-free.
- 600g potatoes
- 10g almonds, blanched
- 50ml of potato retained water
- 100g cabbage
- 100g kale
- 5tsp olive oil
- Bunch of scallions
- Season to taste
- Peel and cook the potatoes in boiling water in a saucepan for about 20 minutes until soft and tender. Drain but retain water.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Blanch the almonds and place in 50ml of potato retained water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Pour into the mixing bowl.
- Use a masher to mash potatoes to a fine pulp. Combine until light and fluffy. Season to taste and set to one side. Season to taste.
- Steam the kale for 3 to 4 minutes and set to one side.
- Finely shred the cabbage and sauté in a heated frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil for a couple of minutes. Transfer to the potato mixture with the kale.
- Sauté the scallions in a tablespoon of oil for a couple of minutes.
- Lightly stir in the kale, cabbage and scallions.
- Serve immediately.