Swirl your tongue around something crunchy and wholesome with a tiny kick. And, delve.
Shallow fried freshly picked corn on the cob battered in buckwheat, spring onion and chives with a hint of smoked paprika and liquid amino; Corn Fritters.
This dish will break any belief that vegan food can’t be simple to rustle up.
- When you’ve spent the morning playing tennis and need to nab a small bite before you go onto play footie with the lads
- When you’ve invited Tommy and Jill from next door for a bbq and want something quick and light that will get them spilling the beans in no time
- When you’ve had a stonker of a morning and want to chill with a cuppa on the garden decking
Corn Fritters was inspired when travelling to Canguu, Bali, by Indonesian street food cuisine where it is known perkedel jagung or bakwan jagung, popular as breakfast or late snack.
Corn Fritters is also popular in native America as crispy deep fried made in barbeques and backyard outings.
Corn Fritters is vegan and gluten-free.
- Corn from 2 kernals of sweet corn (measures about 300g)
- 2tbs Chia seeds, grinded
- 300ml filtered water
- 150g buckwheat groats
- smoked paprika, pinch
- 1tbs liquid amino
- 8 spring onions, finely chopped
- Small bunch of chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- Extra virgin olive oil to cook
- Cut the corn from the kernels. Grind half of the kernals and leave the other half to the side.
- In a large bowl, place the minced kernals and chia seeds. Stir in the milk. Mix well.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder. Add the paprika and combine thoroughly until the mixture forms a batter.
- Lastly add the remaining corn, spring onions and chives. Add the liquid amino and season to taste. Set to one side for a couple of hours or overnight.
- When ready to eat, heat the oil in a frying pan. Make sure the oil coats all the sides. Drop a spoonful of batter into the pan and using a spatula gently flatten.
- Top tip – I normally heat the oil at high heat and then reduce to a medium to low heat when I add the batter.
- Cook the fritters until a golden brown on either side.
- Serve immediately with your favourite sauce. I serve mine with a coriander mint dip or tamarind sauce.