Recipe: Irish Colcannon Potatoes with Kale and Cabbage - #Vegan #Vegetarian #Paleo #Paleovegan
Having had two former <a class="zem_slink" title="Irish cuisine" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_cuisine" target="_blank" rel="wikipedia noopener">Irish</a> partners – I can honestly say how much Potatoes, tatoes – can be such a dietary requirement. Potatoes with this or with that – so, versatile and this <a class="zem_slink" title="Recipe" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recipe" target="_blank" rel="wikipedia noopener">recipe</a> proves it. Colcannon Potatoes is originally an Irish recipe – I have adapted this recipe to include both <a class="zem_slink" title="Cabbage" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage" target="_blank" rel="wikipedia noopener">cabbage</a> and kale and do not tend to blend it or have it cut finely – I really like the chopped texture of the greens, which go well with the <a class="zem_slink" title="Mashed potato" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashed_potato" target="_blank" rel="wikipedia noopener">mashed potatoes</a>.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes until soft and tender. Drain.
- Add the butter to the drained potatoes and mash to a fine pulp. Next add the milk and combine until light and fluffy. Season to taste and set to one side.
- Top tip – I prefer seasoning at this point rather than later.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the cabbage in olive oil for a couple of minutes before adding the kale and spring onions. Cook for about 3 further minutes until the greens turn faintly golden at the edges.
- Gently combine the potatoes into the greens.