Kimchi Pancake I discovered years ago when attending a Korean restaurant. Kimchi may have a distinctive odour, but this Kimchi Pancake is simply lush.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Breakfast, Starter
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- For the pancake
- 200g kimchi
- 150ml reserved kimchi juice/almond milk
- 1tsp salt
- 150g plain flour
- 50g rice flour
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
- For the dipping sauce
- 1tsb vinegar
- 1tsb soy sauce
- 1tsb sesame oil
- 1tsb sesame seeds
- Liquidise the kimchi in its juice with the milk and salt.
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour and whisk in the kimchi mixture until it has a smooth consistency.
- For best results, leave the batter overnight. Season to taste further if necessary.
- Top tip – I have made this Pancake many times, experimenting – and I think it is best to leave overnight, as it ensures that the eventual consistency is just right.
- The following day, add the spring onion to the batter.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a frying pan ensuring that the oil coats the bottom and sides.
- Pour the batter into the pan, spreading to form a thin layer. Cook the pancakes until golden brown on each side. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and roasted sesame seeds (the dipping sauce).
- Serve the pancakes with the dipping sauce.