- 6 lemons
- 6 oranges
- 1tbs salt
- For the syrup
- 500g unrefined cane sugar
- 750ml water
- Slice the fruit in half and squeeze out the juice. (Drink the orange juice and leave the lemon juice to make home-made lemonade). Place the peel into a large bowl. Cover with salt and filtered water. Place another bowl on top to hold down the peel. Leave to soak to one side for about 24 to 36 hours.
- Discard the water and place the peel in fresh filtered water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer on a very low heat for about 2 hours or until the peel is soft.
- Discard the water. Remove the peel and scrape out the flesh and the membrane leaving the pith and rind.
- In a large saucepan, make the syrup by dissolving the sugar in the water. Add the peel and simmer under a very low heat for about 30 minutes until the peel looks shiny and candied. Remove from heat.
- Place the candied peel with the syrup into sterilised glass jars straight away. Cover and store in the fridge until needed. (I normally use the peel to make mincemeat or with mincemeat I want to soak in brandy until the next year. Have a look at my mince pie recipe on here).
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
Thank you for taking the time to view my recipes, interviews and events pages. I hope I inspire you to make these recipes and also inspire you to become very best versions of yourself.
You can follow me on Instagram here (@ethivegan) where I have quick one minute update videos and for interviews and cooking demonstrations you can subscribe to my Youtube channel here. You can watch live cooking demonstrations by subscribing to my Facebook profile here (@ethivegan).
See you soon.
Edward Daniel | Vegan Chef