Rip into something ripe and feel all gooey inside.
Succulent tangy tart Plum Pie flavoured with citrus lemon and earthy floral thyme on a nutty amaranth pastry base.
What other fruit pies do. You like?
This dish will topple your belief that vegan food can’t be so super yummy.
- When you’ve freshly harvested/foraged some plums and haven’t a clue what to do with them
- When you fancy a dinner party with plum pie and some ice cream to top off your extravaganza with friends
- When you’ve got that just out of bed look and feel like a swanky plum pie for later as you set about your day
Plum Pie was inspired when I was foraging for plums and a passer-by remarked how when she was young she would make plum pie with her family – it was a family activity.
Plums have been cultivated around the world and have adapted to various climatic and soil conditions.
Plum Pie is vegan and gluten-free.
- 1kg plums, destoned
- 125g raw unrefined cane sugar
- ½ lemon juice
- Few sprigs of thyme
- Dry ingredients
- 100g amaranth seeds
- 50g oats
- 25g flaxseeds
- 25g raw unrefined cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 75g tapioca flour
- Wet ingredients
- 30g prune puree
- 8tbs filtered water
- 40g coconut oil
- Destone plums and place in a mixing bowl with the sugar, lemon juice and thyme. Ensure it is all combined well. Set to one side.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- Make the pastry by placing the dry ingredients (not tapioca flour) into a high-speed blender and blending till fine. Transfer to a large mixing bowl add in the tapioca flour.
- Toss in the prune puree and mix with hands. Next add the water. Continue using the hands. Then add the oil and knead into a bowl. Cover and leave the dough to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Line 6 4-inch mini-tart shells with oil to ensure that the dough doesn’t stick.
- weigh the dough and divide into 6. Place each dough piece between two baking sheets and roll into circle. Transfer to the tart shells.
- Prick the base with a fork all over. Bake the base in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Set to one side.
- Lay the plum mixture topping onto the pastry base.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or chilled.