Peppery red cabbage in balsamic vinegary dressing with chilli, activated walnuts and toasted sesame seeds; Spicy Walnut Red Cabbage.
Get your pecker all puckered with something spicy yet salivating.
- When you want a quick and easy summer dish to put together that looks the biz
- When you’ve just got back from work and it’s blistering outside and only a salad will tick the box
- When you’ve got a last minute party organised and want something that looks visual and is super tasty tasty, yet effortless
This spicy raw cabbage salad is a favourite of mine and in colour and taste lifts all the surrounding dishes.
Make sure you plan the walnut activation. Keep them in a sealed glass jar until ready to use, at any time.
This dish is vegan, paleo and raw.
What equipment to use
For this recipe, I suggest:
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 1 red cabbage, shredded
- 150g radish
- 100g walnuts
- 1tbs sesame seeds, toasted
- For dressing
- 1 red chili
- 3tbs walnut oil (or olive oil if unavailable)
- 1tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1tbs white wine vinegar
- 1tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Activate the walnuts by soaking in filtered water for at least 8 hours. Discard the water and dehydrate at around 43 degrees Celsius for about 16 hours. Set to one side.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan and set aside. If having as a raw dish – don’t toast.
- Thinly slice the chillies and place in a small mixing bowl. Add the walnut oil, vinegars, and crushed garlic. Set to one side.
- Shred the red cabbage. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, assemble the salad on a serving plate by tossing in the red cabbage Sprinkle in the radish, walnuts and sesame seeds and finally the dressing.