Trinidadian Tamarind Brown Lentils
The inspiration for this recipe comes from a Trinidadian friend of mine, Robert to whom I am grateful too. He cooked this for and the opportunity to re-make it is too good to miss.
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 200g brown lentils
- 5 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg onions
- 1litre water
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, quartered
- ½ ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- Fresh tamarind, 2 inches
- 2tsp oregano
- small bunch of thyme
- 1tsb date syrup
- small bunch of coriander leaves
- Soak the lentils in fresh water and set to one side.
- In a pan, add the olive oil with onions and cook over a medium heat until the onions turn brown and caramelise.
- Add the brown lentils, water, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, tamarind, oregano and thyme and bring to the boil. Reduce to a medium heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Top tip – I use fresh tamarind but make sure that you remove the hard shells of any seeds, otherwise you may accidentally bite into one...
- Season with the date syrup. Cook for a further three to four minutes.
- Switch off the heat. Remove the stems of the thyme and discard. Add the fresh coriander and serve.