Spice up your life with a bit of chilli. And, feel the burn.
Vegan Chilli Con Carne with heart kidney beans and buttery walnuts, flavoured with smoked paprika, tamari, oregano, pepper and lemon juice.
Vegan Chilli Con Carne will burst any belief that vegan food can’t be super yummy.
- When you’ve got the lads night for snooker night and need a nice chilli to go with the bevvies you’re serving
- When you fancy a movie flick with a chilli to get you all fired up
- When you’ve got a fancy Mexican night organised and need something to go with your tortilla chips
Vegan Chilli Con Carne was inspired from school cafeteria lunches and yapping with friends waiting for the next class to start.
The origins of Chili are varied. One thought is it originated from Bolivia, spread over Latin America. Another, is it came from Canary Islanders making its way to Spain, and Mediterranean spices with cinnamon, allspice, cloves and cocoa being used. This stew uses walnuts to give a nutty buttery taste.
Vegan Chilli Con Carne is vegan, paleo and gluten-free.
- 150g red kidney beans
- 400ml bean liquid
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 175ml wine
- 1 chilli pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2tsp tomato puree
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tbs oregano
- 1tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1tbs tamari
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g fresh plum tomatoes
- 1tsp unrefined raw cane sugar
- 1tsp tapioca flour
- 100g walnuts, chopped roughly
- Once cooked
- 1 Pepper, diced
- ½ lemon, juice
- Season to taste
- Pressure cook the kidney beans for about 30 minutes with sufficient water.
- Sauté the onion in oil under a medium heat until the onions turn translucent in a large pan.
- Add the bean and retained bean liquid, garlic, tomato puree, chilli, smoked paprika, oregano, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, bay leaves, tomatoes, and sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sieve in the tapioca flour. And wait for the sauce to thicken.
- Add in the walnuts and cook for about 5 minutes more. Switch off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice, and Spanish pepper.
- Season further for taste or even some tortilla wraps and jalapeno peppers.