Walnut Thyme Fennel Leek Stew
This Fennel with Leek main course dish is easy to prepare and Fennel's unique aromatic taste makes it an ideal accompaniment too. Fennel is rich in dietary fibre, phytonutrients and antioxidants.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Paleovegan
- 1 fennel, sliced, with bottom and inner core removed
- 2 leeks, stripped, quartered and diced
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 400ml coconut milk
- 3 cloves of garlic
- small bunch of thyme leaves
- 50g walnuts
- Season to taste
- To make the stock, place the potato, carrots and celery with water into a medium pan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain and keep the liquid but discard these vegetables.
- In a large pan, add 4 tablespoons of walnut oil and onion. Cook the onions until they soften.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Mix in the fennel, leeks, garlic and thyme. Bring to the boil and reduce to a medium heat for about 15 minutes. Switch off the heat.
- In a frying pan, toast the walnuts in the remaining oil over a low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Season to taste and garnish with the walnuts.
Serving size: ⅙th Calories: 327cal Fat: 29g Carbohydrates: 13g Sugar: 5g Sodium: 89mg Protein: 4g