Tremble in anticipation and divulge in ecstasy. And, ingest.
Soft pinkish-brown Rose Coco Bean Aubergine Stew with smoked paprika, ginger and garlic, with a touch of citrus lemon.
This dish will obliterate your belief that vegan food can’t be made with simple ingredients.
- When you fancy a dish reminiscent but takes baked beans up a notch
- When a hearty meal is much needed as the dark evenings draw in
- When you’ve just had a run out in the blistering cold and a dish that’ll have you fixed up in no time tickles your fancy
Rose Coco Bean Aubergine Stew was inspired when I had been living in Lisbon. I had a budget of Euro 8, because I had expenses I needed to meet at that time. And, this was a cheap staple dish that kept me nourished.
Rose Coco beans are often referred to as crab eye beans, or borlotti beans. They are a staple to Indian cuisine.
Rose Coco Bean Aubergine Stew is vegan.
- 1 aubergine
- 4tbs oil
- 200g Rose Coco Beans, soaked in water for 48 hours beforehand, washed a couple of times during the soaking process
- 500ml filtered water
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1tsp tomato puree
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ inch ginger, grated
- ½ lemon juice
- Season to taste
- Roughly dice the aubergine. Place in a colander (with a bowl underneath) and dust with sea salt. Set to one side for a couple of hours.
- In a pressure cooker, add the rose coco beans, onion, tomatoes and tomato puree, paprika, ginger, garlic, and place under pressure for 30 minutes.
- Dry the aubergine with a kitchen towel and shallow fry in oil, until golden on either side.
- Add the aubergine with oi to the stew and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Squeeze in the lemon.
- Season to taste and serve.