Lemon Drizzle Cake made with unrefined sugar
Lemon Drizzle Cake made with unrefined sugar came about because I wanted to create my own version. Admittedly, this cake took several attempts before I got what I wanted right and the texture too. The trick here is not overcook the cake. I used unrefined sugar having moved away from caster some years ago.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert
- 150ml olive oil
- 100ml coconut oil, melted
- 200g unrefined raw coconut sugar
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 400g flour
- 100ml filtered water
- 4tbs flaxseeds, ground
- 2tbs bicarbonate of soda
- 2tbs cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a cake tin with olive oil. Place baking paper so that it covers the bottom and sides.
- In a food mixer combine the oils with the sugar. Add the flour, water, flaxseeds and lemon zest. Continue whizzing.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. The batter should start to fizz.
- Transfer the batter to the cake tin. Cover the top with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. You want to ensure that the cake remains moist and do not worry if the skewer does not come out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Prick the cake with a cocktail stick all over. Drizzle on the lemon and allow to stand for about 20 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with vegan cream or icecream.