Juicy ripe burst berries covered with a layer of crunchy toasted millet and golden flaky oats; Blackberry Crumble.
Mash your tongue around something warm and crunchy.
- When you’ve got the in laws over for dinner and need to impress them with something warm and hearty
- When you’ve got your nephews/nieces over for the day and want to show them the huge love you have for them
- When you’re at your self-catering weekend getaway and the ambience of that country stroll to linger
This recipe was inspired by foraging punnets of blackberries in the Cornish countryside.
This Blackberry Crumble has a hint of lime and a pinch of salt to lift it to ever dizzier heights.
This Crumble is vegan and gluten-free.
to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 500g blackberries
- 50g maple syrup
- 1 lime, juice
- Pinch of salt
- 150g millet grains
- 150g oats
- 50g coconut oil
- 40g raw unrefined cane sugar
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius (or 160 degrees Celsius if fan oven).
- In a bowl mix together the maple syrup, lime juice and pinch of salt. Coat the blackberries in this mixture. Place the blackberries on the base of a baking dish.
- Blend or process the sugar, and half of the oats and millet until fine.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the millet, oats, and sugar. Add the coconut oil. Using your fingers gentle mix the ingredients until the oil has melted in.
- Place the gluten-free topping over the blackberries. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with or without custard or tuck in with some ice-cream.