Citrus roasted pears poached in caramelised sugar with cardamon, cinnamon and lemon and orange zest; Caramelised Pears.
Dive into something wholesome and intoxicating. And, quiver with delight.
This dish will overthrow your belief that vegan food can’t be this super lush.
- When you fancy a little indulgence with next to no effort. And, be tantalised with the post-effects
- When you’ve just been swimming with the sharks. And, need a little respite from the tit tat with pure absolution
- When you’ve got kiddies creating chaos and a quick dish to satiate their boundless energy is much needed
Citrus roasted Caramelised Pears was inspired when babysitting my nephew and niece and coming up with a recipe concept to quench their insatiable appetites and frenetic minds.
I love the way the syrup for this dish crystallises and infuses with the citrus and spices. It makes a great round off to an evening’s dinner.
This sweet dish is vegan and paleo.
What equipment to use
For this recipe, I suggest:
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life,
Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 6 pears
- 150g unrefined sugar
- 75ml filtered water
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 4 cardamon pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a convention oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Shave about 4 long strips of lemon and orange. Slice a knife through the cardamon pods but leave them intact.
- In a sauce pan melt the sugar in water. Add in the lemon and orange strips, cardamon pods and cinnamon stick. Switch off the heat and add in the olive oil.
- Peel the pears and cut in half. Core and place them core side down into a baking tray. Baste over the syrup.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes or so.
- Remove and place into serving bowls. Do not worry if some of the sugar has crystalised, it just adds to the flavour. Discard the citrus strips, cardamon and cinnamon.
- Serve warm or cold if you prefer with ice cream.