Cherry and Pear Mincemeat
Cherry and Pear Mincemeat came about because I wanted to create a special type of Christmas Cake that when made could age well. This mincemeat also makes wonderful mince pies too. There is a fruity richness to this recipe.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert, Filling
Cuisine: Vegan, Wholefoods
- 850g cooking pears
- 300g cherries
- 100g whole candied orange peel
- 100g whole candied lemon peel
- 250g seedless raisins
- 250g currents
- 250g sultanas
- 300g unrefined cane sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon ground
- 2tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1tsp all spice, ground
- 250ml Port
- Peel, core and finely chop the pears.
- Chop the peel and cherries in two.
- Mix all ingredients into a large china or wooden bowl.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave to stand for two to three days.
- Stir again, then pot into sterilised jars.
- Store in a cool dark place. You can either allow the flavours to mature for about 6 weeks or use within that period.