- 250g chestnuts (or 300g pre-cooked deshelled chestnuts)
- 1kg red onions
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 4tbs olive oil
- 500ml bean stock (use the remnant water taken from beans such as haricot, kidney beans, cannelloni that have been cooked from their dry state)
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the whole chestnuts in a large pan with boiling water. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes. Drain and allow the chestnuts to cool.
- Place the red onions and garlic. Drizzle over the oil. Cover with aluminium foil. Roast for about an hour. (If there are any brown charred bits at the bottom of the tray, add some of the bean stock, stir and make into a paste. If necessary place the tray over the stove on a low heat to get a better result)
- De-shell the chestnuts.
- Remove the skin off the garlic. Place in a food processor with the onions and chestnuts. Whizz to a fine consistency.
- Add the bean stock.
- Serve your gravy as an accompaniment to a desired dish.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
What future would you like to paint? What I say is that it is possible to lead a fulfilling life by going within, living in alignment, letting go of the past and thriving on a vegan diet.
If you want to uncover your purpose and live a more enriching life, why not purchase my book “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism”?
Thanks for viewing my recipes and interviews.
Love you all.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Media IT IP Solicitor | Author | Presenter | Former Chair, The Vegan Society