Grab a bit of heat to get you all hot and clappy chappy…
Soft bulgur wheat kofte with sweet pepper paste and paprika, fiery Isot and Aleppo pepper flakes, tart sumac, and fresh tomatoes; Cig Kofte.
This dish will burst any bubbles that vegan food can’t taste this lush.
- When you’ve got the lads over for a sensational Games night, with overflowing prosecco – move over ladies
- When you’ve got a massive party with hors d’oeuvre that will tickle your guests’ fancy
- When you’ve had a vat full of lager and a dish that will quench your nature into putty
Cig Kofte was inspired when strutting down the Turkish quarter, Little Istanbul. Walking along the streets of Neukolin, there were an array of shisha cafes selling their own vegan Cig Kofte versions. Funky music and jet-setting crowds of people scattered the roads.
Cig Kofte is an ancient Turkish appetizer. It is served with lettuce leaves and slices of lemon. Traditionally, it is served at parties because they are full of flavour and immensely popular.
Cig Kofte is vegan and Turkish cuisine.
- 250g bulgur wheat, fine
- 375ml boiling water
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2tbs olive oil
- 2tbs pomegranate molasses
- 1tbs tomato paste
- 1tbs red pepper paste ((tatlı biber salcası)
- 1tsp Isot / Urfa biber flake
- 1tsp sweet paprika
- 1ttsp Aleppo pepper flakes pul biber, also called Aleppo pepper
- 1tbs sumac
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- few sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lettuce
- 1 lemon, juice
- Finely grind the bulgur wheat in a grinder and place in a steamer with the water. Steam for about 5 minutes. Set to one side.
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices in oil and molasses and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add in the pastes.
- Transfer the bulger to the bowl. Use your hands and knead into a dough. The dough should be soft and malleable. This will take about 10 minutes. Alternatively, if time is short transfer to a food processor and mix well.
- Add in the parsley.
- Knead into the mixture.
- Take a little bit of dough and use the palm of your hands to roll into a cigar kofte shape and set to one side on a large serving dish.
- When ready to serve, serve wrapped in lettuce leaves and lemon juice. Aas an option, serve with cucumber, spring onions, mayo and balsamic to add an extra dimension, if you wish.