I love Crown Prince Squash particularly when it helps draw out flavours of the fragrant cardamoms, cinnamon and oregano. It is a great centre piece to bring out at a meal. Crown Prince Squash stuffed with Fine Beans Walnuts and Quinoa is sure to delight.
- 1 crown prince squash (1.5kg)
- 2tbs olive oil
- 180g quinoa
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 50g sultanas
- 50g walnuts
- 150g fine beans
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cardamoms, deseeded
- ½ cinnamon stick, grounded
- 1tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- Place the squash in an ovenproof dish. Using a pastry brush baste the squash in olive oil. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Soak the sultanas in lukewarm water and set aside.
- Cover the quinoa with at least two or threes times as much water and cook for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the shallots in the oil until translucent. Add the garlic cloves.
- Place the quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Add the cayenne pepper, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, oregano and salt. Mix well. Finally, stir in the sultanas, walnuts, fine beans.
- Remove the top of the squash and using a tablespoon, scoop out the seeds. Discard the seeds.
- Fill the squash with the fine bean, walnut and quinoa mixture. Place the top of the squash back on. Return to the oven and cook for a further 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.