Slather something lush onto your plate and lick it clean… And, pamper.
Chestnut Roast with lashings of peanuts, country of parsley, oregano and marjoram, spiced cumin, a touch of lemon, sweetened with raisins.
This recipe will throw out any beliefs that vegan food can’t be super yummy.
- When the festive season is upon and Chrimbo roast will be the fixer for your lavish meal
- When a Sunday roast needs a little sprucing up and roast packed with flavour will set off your day of rest
- When you’ve got not-vegan old-timers round and need a dish that’ll have them surprised this is vegan
Chestnut Roast was inspired when picking up fresh chestnuts in one of the quaint local fresh vegetable store in Battle and then returning to a 17th Century country cottage to bake a nut roast before the Tarot Cards came out.
Roasted chestnuts are a winter delicacy in the UK. Introduced by Romans, sweet chestnuts are native to Southern Europe, Western Asia and Africa.
Chestnuts have a sweet taste and nutty texture. The raisins bring add a sweet dimension to this recipe, with the lemon and cumin a warming feeling to this dish
Chestnuts are high in dietary fibre, improving our digestive system.
Chestnut Roast is vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2tbs olive oil
- 75g quinoa
- 200ml filtered water
- 200g chestnuts, cooked
- 50g peanuts, chopped
- 40g oats
- 25g flaxseeds
- 50g raisins
- Few sprigs of parsley, chopped
- 1tbs marjoram
- 1tbs oregano
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 2tbs filtered water
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- Season to taste
- Pierce and boil the chestnuts in filtered boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain and set-aside until cool. Remove the skin with a knife. Set to one side.
- Cook the quinoa in water until the water dissolves
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Sauté the shallot in the oil until translucent. Add in the garlic cloves. Then add chopped peanuts and cook for a couple of more minutes.
- In a blender roughly pulse the chestnuts. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add in the raisins, herbs and cumin seeds. Mix well with the quinoa.
- A high-food processor pulse the flaxseeds and oats until fine. Add to the mixing bowl with the shallot mixture and zest.
- Pour in the lemon juice and water.
- Season to taste.
- Fold the chestnut mixture and smooth over to all sides. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven.
- Roast the chestnut nut in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Turnover and garnish with parsley.
- Serve warm some vegan gravy.