Fig and Walnut Mincemeat came about because I wanted to create my own version of mincemeat to use in a Christmas Pudding recipe but also in mince pies. This recipe is full of fruity opulence. What I love about this recipe is that it is raw and the flavours seeps through without additional sugar.
- 600g cooking apples
- 350g dried figs
- 100g whole candied orange peel
- 100g whole candied lemon peel
- 200g walnut pieces
- 150g seedless raisins
- 250g currents
- 150g sultanas
- 1tsp cinnamon ground
- 1tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1tsp mace, ground
- 250ml Marsala wine
- Peel, core and finely chop the apples.
- Chop the peel and figs.
- Chop the walnuts in a chopper.
- Mix all ingredients into a large china or wooden bowl.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave to stand overnight.
- Stir again, then pot into sterilised jars.
- Store in a cool dark place. You can either allow the flavours to mature for about 4 to 6 weeks or use within that period.