Gluten-free Pomegranate Cake
Gluten-Free Victoria Pomegranate cake came about as a result of inspiration from my friend Jules, who has recently encouraged me. This is a remake of another pomegranate cake here but using gluten-free flours. The pomegranate molasses and orange juice give this dish an umami flavour.
Recipe type: Cake
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, gf
- 3tbs flaxseeds, ground
- 7.5tbs filtered water
- 140g buckwheat
- 100g raw unrefined cane sugar
- 40g oats
- 140g sorghum flour
- 80g potato starch
- 2tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 140ml olive oil
- 1tbs pomegranate molasses
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- ½ orange, juice
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a cake tin (or two 7- or 8-inch cake tins) with olive oil and set to one side.
- Mix the flaxseeds with water and set to one side.
- In a food processor, grind the buckwheat granules, oats and unrefined cane sugar. Place in a large mixing bowl with the sorghum flour, potato starch, baking soda and salt. Mix well and set to one side.
- Add the flaxseed mixture to the large mixing bowl and combine.
- Add in the oil, pomegranate molasses, orange juice and vanilla extract. Mix well. Fold in the pomegranate seeds.
- Dish into the cake tin(s).
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the crust turns into a light golden colour. Insert a skewer to test if it comes out clear to see if it is baked.
- Remove from heat and set to one side until cool.
- Top with icing of your choice, if preferred.