Hazelnut Radicchio Flan
Hazelnut Radicchio Flan has a lovely crunch with the sunflower crust. I love how radicchio becomes sweeter as it bakes; it loses that bitterness. The pomegranate molasses enhance the flavour of this Hazelnut Radicchio Flan
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
- 75g coconut flakes
- 75g sunflower seeds
- 125g chickpea flour
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2tbs olive oil
- 800g firm tofu
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2tbs white wine vinegar
- 2tbs pomegranate molasses
- 2tbs lemon juice
- 1tbs tahini
- ½ inch fresh ginger, grated
- ½ inch fresh turmeric, grated
- 1tbs coriander seeds.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the sunflower seeds overnight. Drain and set to one side.
- Soak the coconut flakes an hour before preparing dish. Drain and set to one side.
- Dry roast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and over a sieve remove the dry skin. Set to one side.
- To make the crust, blitz the drained sunflower seeds and coconut flakes in a food processor until soft.
- Place the seeds and flakes into a large mixing bowl. Knead in the chickpea flour and salt. Add the oil. Knead for about 10 minutes until the dough forms into a ball. Cover and place in the fridge.
- Sauté the onion in oil until translucent. Set to one side.
- Place the tofu, garlic, vinegar, molasses, lemon juice and tahini into the food processor and blitz until creamy. Remove and place in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the ginger, turmeric and coriander seeds. Season to taste.
- Add the hazelnut and radicchio to the creamed mixturel.
- Line a flan tray with oil and roll the dough out into a circle. Place chickpea on the surface used for rolling out. Work quickly as the dough can be flaky. Place the dough into the flan dish. Don’t worry if the dough breaks – just arrange round the dish.
- Pour in the hazelnut and radicchio filling on top of the dough.
- Cover and bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with salad or vegetables.