Dribble over some textured plant flesh.
Slow cooked fleshy Kolokasi in a tomato sauce with red onion, coriander seed and oregano topped with celery and a splash of lime juice; Kolokasi Celery Stew.
This dish will topple any believe that vegan food can’t be super easy to make.
- When you’ve got Uncle Sam over for dinner and need a fleshy dish that’ll get him all buzzed up
- When you’re running ragged from a day of shopping and need a simple dish you can leave to one side to cook as you try on your new wear
- When you need something fresh and lubricating and a unique dish that’ll get you excited is within your grasp
Kolokasi Celery Stew was inspired when a Cypriot Chef visited revealing this Cypriot root vegetable.
Kolokasi softens to a consistency much like potato and is similar to yams and sweet potatoes. It has a conical shape and native to Cyprus and Greece. In its raw form, Kolokasi is harmful and so cooking until it softens to reduce levels of calcium oxalate. It’s also a good source of fibre and good for gut health.
I get my Kolokasi from a charming cosy Greek Cypriot Supermarket, called Michael’s Fruiterers on Seven Sisters Road in Holloway. (Though, note it closes on Wednesdays).
- 1 large Kolokasi
- 4tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1tbs coriander seeds
- 1tsp oregano, dried
- 2tbs tomato puree
- 750ml filtered water
- ½ bunch of celery
- ½ lime, juice
- There is a special way to prepare the Kolokasi. Peel the Kolokasi. Then hold it one hand, and press a knife into Kolokasi to crack small pieces. Avoid washing.
- In a wok, sauté the Kolokasi in two tablespoons of olive oil until the Kokokasi turns a golden-brown colour. Set to one side.
- Using the same wok, sauté the onion and coriander seeds in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Add in the oregano, tomato and return the Kolokasi. Coat the Kolosaki.
- Add in the water. Bring to boil and simmer at a low heat for about an hour. The sauce should thicken. The Kolokasi should be easy to cut through, much like a potato. 5 minutes before the end stir in the celery.
- Switch off the heat and drizzle in the lime, juice.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with rice or beans.