Tickle your fancy. And, pulse your quivering lips as you take another sip.
Free flowing liquid Lemonade made with citrus lemon juice and zest in a sugar syrup downed with melting ice.
This dish will burst your belief that vegan drinks can’t be simple to rustle up.
When do you feel time to have a dash of Lemonade?
- When it’s a scorcher of a day and the air conditioning unit won’t save you from the heat
- When you’ve got a summer barbeque and need a little light drink that’ll have you all relaxing into the afternoon
- When you’re parched after doing a long cycle ride on a warm summer’s day
Lemonade was inspired when basking in the sun in Positano with an ex-beau. Sipping fresh lemonade made with Sicilian lemons was the perfect prelude to dinner as we sat on our terrace overlooking the sea yonder.
Citric acid just enhances the flavour and acts as a preservative. I use it sparingly. It is an optional choice. So, don’t feel as if you need to rush out the door to get it. Homemade fresh lemonade only needs a few simple ingredients, lemon juice, zest, sugar, water and ice to polish it off.
Lemonade is a vegan drink.
- For lemon cordial
- 400ml filtered water
- 400g raw unrefined cane sugar
- 2 lemons, juice
- 1 lemon, zest
- 15g citric acid
- For each serving
- 2 large lemons or 3 medium lemons
- In a saucepan over a medium heat dissolve the sugar in water. Set to one side to cool.
- Squeeze in the juice of 2 lemons and grate zest of 1 lemon into the liquid cordial. As an option add in the citric acid. Cover and allow too steep to at least a couple of hours.
- When ready to serve measure out about 75ml to 100ml of the cordial. Pour into a jug. Squeeze in juice of 3 medium or 2 large lemons. Pour over 300ml water and ice. Give it stir. Add more water as necessary for your preference.
- Transfer the remaining cordial into a bottle and place in the fridge and use as necessary – ensuring the lid is open to the elements. If necessary get a piece of parchment paper and elastic band and use as the lid.