- For pastry
- 300g “00” doppio flour
- 165ml filtered water
- 30ml olive oil plus a 1tsp of oil
- 1tsp cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 100ml oat cream
- 50g icing sugar
- For the filling
- 75g currents soaked in brandy for a week
- 150g pecans
- small cinnamon stick
- 450g of apples
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- 50ml maple syrup
- To make the pastry, place the filtered water, cider vinegar and pinch of salt in a food mixer. Combine and add the flour. Mix well. Add the oil. When the dough has formed, round the dough and place into a bowl. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil and ensure that the oil covers the dough. Cover with a cloth and place in the fridge for an hour or until needed.
- When ready to make the strudel, pre-oven to gas mark 200 degrees.
- Finely chop the pecans in a chopper. Grind the cinnamon stick to a fine powder. Place both in a bowl and mix in the currents.
- Roll the dough on a flat surface covered with flour. Make into a long rectangle about 5 inches by 12 inches.
- Layer the pecan mixture onto the dough.
- Take the whole of the apples and place in a food processor with the lemon juice, lemon zest and maple syrup. Pulse roughly. (This recipe is about creating zero-waste food).
- Layer the apple mixture over half the base of the dough. Wrap the sides round the as you fold over baste with the cream as you keep folding over.
- Line the bottom of a baking tray with oil and cover with baking paper. Place the strudel on top. Cover with foil and cook in the over for about 40 minutes until the strudel turns a golden colour. Keep basting the surface of the strudel with cream.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before sprinkling on the icing sugar.
- Serve with vegan cream.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
What future would you like to paint? What I say is that it is possible to lead a fulfilling life by going within, living in alignment, letting go of the past and thriving on a vegan diet.
To find out more of what is happening in my life, journey, and travels – as I balance work as a full-time solicitor, being a vegan chef and creating new recipes, speaking at vegan events on animal rights, the environment, spirituality and activism in the United Kingdom and abroad, and write my next book then follow me:
Or, self-published, order your copy of my first book “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” in the three part “Circle of Food” series which is currently out here. Reviews of this book can be found on Amazon here.
My second book in the “Cirlce of Food” series is entitled “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” covers animal rights/welfare and liberation (using my skills as a lawyer), spiritual chapters on living in the present, balancing the masculine and feminine, the Mandela effect, the Universal laws, and has even more recipes and poetry is out in 2020.
As I self-fund all my activities from my work as a solicitor – including self-publishing and attending events it is matter of living in alignment and the Universe in its wisdom will provide – and, of course, I have time to balance it all and simply create.
My end goal is to host my own T.V. show on vegan recipes and on veganism. Please support me in my quest.
Love you all.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Digital Information and Media Solicitor | Author | Poet | Presenter | Former Chair, The Vegan Society