Recipe: Maple, Pecan and Apple Strudel - #Vegan
Maple Pecan and Apple Strudel is one of those lush dishes you make for special occasions. I had experimented with walnuts initially but this remake uses pecans and I am glad I did. I also wanted to make my own pastry rather than use filo – which has a different taste and texture. This dish takes me to back to the strudel I used to have at school… The pastry can be made in advance and left in the fridge for a couple of days. I do that when I am busy. This dish in its final format came about as I had my friends, Dominica and Marcin visiting. In the morning Marcin and I planned to go to Mount Snowdon for some exercise; in hindsight not sure why I rose to the challenge – which incidentally was a challenge I set.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert
- For pastry
- 300g “00” doppio flour
- 165ml filtered water
- 30ml olive oil plus a 1tsp of oil
- 1tsp cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 100ml oat cream
- 50g icing sugar
- For the filling
- 75g currents soaked in brandy for a week
- 150g pecans
- small cinnamon stick
- 450g of apples
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- 50ml maple syrup
- To make the pastry, place the filtered water, cider vinegar and pinch of salt in a food mixer. Combine and add the flour. Mix well. Add the oil. When the dough has formed, round the dough and place into a bowl. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil and ensure that the oil covers the dough. Cover with a cloth and place in the fridge for an hour or until needed.
- When ready to make the strudel, pre-oven to gas mark 200 degrees.
- Finely chop the pecans in a chopper. Grind the cinnamon stick to a fine powder. Place both in a bowl and mix in the currents.
- Roll the dough on a flat surface covered with flour. Make into a long rectangle about 5 inches by 12 inches.
- Layer the pecan mixture onto the dough.
- Take the whole of the apples and place in a food processor with the lemon juice, lemon zest and maple syrup. Pulse roughly. (This recipe is about creating zero-waste food).
- Layer the apple mixture over half the base of the dough. Wrap the sides round the as you fold over baste with the cream as you keep folding over.
- Line the bottom of a baking tray with oil and cover with baking paper. Place the strudel on top. Cover with foil and cook in the over for about 40 minutes until the strudel turns a golden colour. Keep basting the surface of the strudel with cream.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before sprinkling on the icing sugar.
- Serve with vegan cream.