Bite into something soft and gooey.
Oozing smelted cheese and an olive oil tomato sauce on a pillowy teff millet pastry base; Margherita Pizza.
This dish will tumble your belief that vegan food can’t be super yummy.
- When you’ve got a games night on with the lads and need a quick and dirty mouth-watering dish that’ll have you satiated as you make your next move
- When you’re entertaining the kids with a fun baking activity that’ll have them whistling for joy and gratified with the fruit of their labours
- When you’ve got a craving for a simple dish as you put on your favourite movie to watch
Margherita Pizza was inspired when attending a pizzeria at the Echo Building in Hackney Wick. As my friends sat out in the blistering cold we munched on a simple vegan Margherita Pizza as we soaked down our drinks.
Margherita Pizza is a vegan and gluten-free.
- For pastry
- 200ml filtered water
- 1tsp dry yeast
- 1tsp raw unrefined cane sugar
- 100g millet
- 100g teff flour
- 50g tapioca flour
- 15g oats
- 10g flaxseeds
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch of salt
- 25ml olive oil
- For tomato sauce
- 400ml plum tomatoes (use tin if time is limited)
- 25g olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Few sprigs of basil for garnishing too
- In a large mixing bowl, place yeast and sugar in lukewarm water. Set to one side for 20 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with parchment dough and pour the olive oil on top.
- In a high-food processor grind the millet, oats and flaxseeds. Add to the mixing bowl with the xanthan gum and salt. Use a spatula to form into a dough.
- Weigh and divide the dough into four or just make a large pizza. Roll into a ball with the palm of your hands. And transfer to the baking dough. Use your hands to form the dough into a circle.
- Leave the dough to rise for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or if a convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Make the tomato sauce by chopping the tomatoes and add in the olive oil and salt. Use a spoon to smooth onto the dough base.
- Use a knife or chopper to chop the basil and sprinkle onto the tomato base. Retain some basil for serving.
- Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnishing with basil leaves.