- 1 butternut squash
- 1tbs coconut oil
- 100ml malt barley extract
- 300ml boiling water
- ¼tsp salt
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 stick of lemon grass
- few sprigs of rosemary
- 3tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius.
- Using a pastry brush spread the coconut oil over the outside of the butternut squash. Place into an ovenproof tray and roast in the oven for no more than15 minutes. Set to one side and switch the oven off.
- Melt the malt barley in boiling water. Add the salt, lime and lemon juice and zest. Combine and leave to one side.
- In a grinder, pulse the lemon grass with the springs of rosemary to a rough consistency. Add to the malt barley marinade.
- Once the butternut squash has cooled down, use a knife to gently peel off the skin. Cut the butternut squash into medallions between 1 to 1.5cm in thickness. Remove the seeds too.
- Transfer the butternut squash into the ovenproof tray and baste over the mart barley mixture and leave to marinade overnight or for a few hours. Turn over the butternut squash regularly.
- When nearly ready to serve preheat the oven once again to gas mark 180 degrees Celcius.
- Add olive oil to the marinade and cover with aluminum foil and bake until the butternut squash is cooked. Turn over the medallions regularly.
- Serve immediately.
• No cholesterol
• High in selenium
• Very high in vitamin A
• Very high in saturated fat
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
What future would you like to paint? What I say is that it is possible to lead a fulfilling life by going within, living in alignment, letting go of the past and thriving on a vegan diet.
To find out more of what is happening in my life, journey, and travels – as I balance work as a full-time solicitor, being a vegan chef and creating new recipes, speaking at vegan events on animal rights, the environment, spirituality and activism in the United Kingdom and abroad, and write my next book then follow me:
Or, self-published, order your copy of my first book “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” in the three part “Circle of Food” series which is currently out here. Reviews of this book can be found on Amazon here.
My second book in the “Cirlce of Food” series is entitled “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” covers animal rights/welfare and liberation (using my skills as a lawyer), spiritual chapters on living in the present, balancing the masculine and feminine, the Mandela effect, the Universal laws, and has even more recipes and poetry is out in 2020.
As I self-fund all my activities from my work as a solicitor – including self-publishing and attending events it is matter of living in alignment and the Universe in its wisdom will provide – and, of course, I have time to balance it all and simply create.
My end goal is to host my own T.V. show on vegan recipes and on veganism. Please support me in my quest.
Love you all.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Digital Information and Media Solicitor | Author | Poet | Presenter | Former Chair, The Vegan Society