Temper your loins and tuck in.
Papaya Strawberry and Quinoa Salad with sweet paprika, citrus lemon juice, bitter parsley and coconut bacon.
This is dish will obliterate your belief that vegan food can’t this super delicious.
- When you fancy a bit of al fresco dining as you pop open the bubbly
- When you’ve just had a dip in the sea and need a little light refreshment to go with the cocktail your bestie has just poured you
- When you’ve got last minute friends popping over for supper and need a dish that’ll wow them
Papaya Strawberry and Quinoa Salad was inspired when I’d just visited the Indonesian subcontinent and had a craving for papaya. I wanted something light and fresh. Sweet strawberries mesh with coconut bacon and nutty quinoa, with parsley adding a little bitterness. A perfect light Spring/Summer salad.
Papaya Strawberry and Quinoa Salad is vegan.
- For the coconut bacon
- 50g coconut flakes
- For marinade
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1tbs tamari
- 2tbs maple syrup
- 1/4tsp sweet paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 200g quinoa
- Few sprigs of parsley
- 250g papaya
- 100g strawberries
- ½ lemon juice
- Season to taste
- Preheat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl make the marinade for the coconut bacons by mixing together the oil, tamari, maple syrup, paprika and a pinch of salt. Toss in the coconut and coat with the marinade. Remove and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for no more than 5 minutes. Set to one side.
- Cook the quinoa by placing with water in a saucepan for about 20 minutes. Set to one side.
- Cut or spiralise the papaya and cut the strawberries.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the drained quinoa. Mix in the parsley.
- As you are ready to serve, add in the papaya and strawberries. Coat with the lemon juice and season to taste. Toss in the coconut bacon and immediately serve.