Papaya Strawberry and Quinoa Salad
This colourful summer salad is superb for serving on a warm day. It is relatively simple to make too! I add the papaya and strawberries just before serving, so that these fruits retain their texture. Papaya is a good source of Vitamin C and Potassium. Potassium is a vital component of cell and body fluids. For a gluten free alternative, just replace bulgar wheat, with the same amount of quinoa.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Vegan Salad, Vegan Main, Vegan Starter
- For the coconut bacon
- 50g coconut flakes
- For marinade
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1tbs tamari
- 2tbs maple syrup
- ¼tsp paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 200g quinoa
- 250g papaya
- 100g strawberries
- ½ lemon juice
- Season to taste
- Preheat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if you have a fan oven 160 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl make the marinade for the coconut bacons by mixing together the oil, tamari, maple syrup, paprika and a pinch of salt. Toss in the coconut and coat with the marinade. Remove and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for no more than 5 minutes. Set to one side.
- Cook the quinoa by placing with water in a saucepan for about 20 minutes. Set to one side.
- Cut or spiralise the papaya and cut the strawberries.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the drained quinoa, papaya and strawberries. Coat with the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Once ready to serve toss in the coconut bacon and serve.
Serving size: ⅙th Calories: 189cal Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 32g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 15mg Protein: 5g