Poached Rhubarb infused with Juniper and Sage
Poached Rhubarb infused with Juniper and Sage resulted from a spate of ideas germinating. I had started my Ethivegan recipe blog back in 2013 and back in 2018, I lost my zeal for it. My interest waned, and now as if my magic, my mojo is back. I guess at times we need to retreat, refigure and decide where we want to go with our life. Food is one of my greatest passions and it’s not long am out of the kitchen and doing those cooking demonstrations… So, here, you are treated to this Poached Rhubarb dish – I have to say it is one of my favourites – not only because of the rich pink hue that this dish has but also the way the rhubarb melts in the mouth and how the smell of the juniper and sage – giving this dish an earthy and grounding feel to it. A really simple dinner party or even party for one recipe.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Vegan. Paleo, Paleovegan
- 375ml white whine
- 50g unrefined raw cane sugar
- 4 cloves of India
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 crushed juniper berries
- 3 sprigs of sage
- Cut the stems of the rhubarb to about 3 or 4 inches.
- In a large saucepan, bring the wine and sugar to bio.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes. Add the cloves, cinnamon stick, juniper berries and sage. Place the glass lid on top.
- Add the rhubarb and simmer for about 5 minutes. Switch off the heat. Leave overnight so that the spices and herb infuse into the rhubarb.
- The following day, gently remove the rhubarb and serve with its juices, discarding the spices and herb.
- Chill the rhubarb until ready to serve.