Indulge in a dessert that will have all nut and herbed out. And, pucker.
Marsala soaked raisins, pine nuts, walnuts and rosemary with a drizzle of olive oil to make a moist unleavened Tuscan Chestnut Cake; Castagnaccio.
This dish will overcome any belief that vegan food can’t be supper tasty.
- When you’re far from Tuscany and need a little reminder of your trip there and the wonderful time you spent there
- When you’ve got an Italian meal, all prepped up and need a compact dessert that’ll polish the evening off quite nicely
- When you’re laden with fresh chestnut and an ancient Tuscan dessert that’ll have you smiling cheek to cheek as you relax a little further into the sofa
Tuscan Chestnut Cake – Castagnaccio was inspired when staying in Florence and visiting one of the traditional Italian pasticceria (pastry shop) and indulging in handmade Italian pastry.
Tuscan Chestnut Cake is a rustic peasant dessert, traditionally made in late Autumn after chestnuts are dried and turned into flour. Although, it is a dense cake, it’s a naturally gluten-free.
Castagnaccio, Tuscan Chestnut Cake is traditionally not a sweet dessert but the chestnut flour gives this dish a unique exquisite taste, particularly when you bite into the nuts and fruits. It is like a plethora of lush flavours vying for attention.
Tuscan Chestnut Cake; Castagnaccio is vegan and gluten-free.
- 25g raisins
- 25ml Marsala wine
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 250g chestnut flour
- 250ml water
- 3tbs olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 50g raw unrefined cane sugar
- 25g pine nuts
- 25g walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to gas mark 180 degrees Celsius or if a convection oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Soak the raisins in Marsala wine and set to one side.
- Soak the rosemary leaves in water and set to one side.
- Grind the sugar and salt and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add in the chestnut flour and mix well.
- Pour in the water and oil and combine well.
- Lightly line a 7-inch cake tin with oil and then line the base with parchment paper.
- Pour the dough onto the cake tin. Garnish with the walnuts, pine nuts and raisins.
- Boil a kettle and place a tray full of water below the shelf where you are planning to place your cake.
- Cover the cake with parchment paper or foil and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and set aside. Garnish with the rosemary leaves.
- Serve warm or cold.