Pomegranate cake came about because I wanted to create something special for a friend that was coming over to help out with refocusing back onto cooking. I love the crunchy taste of pomegranates in any event and combined with the orange this creates a refreshing taste especially when found in a cake such as this.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Dessert, Cake
- 3tbs flaxseed, ground
- 50ml water
- 300g “00” doppio flour
- 150g coconut oil, melted
- 1 orange juice, and zest
- 75g unrefined cane sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond essence
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g pomegranates
- 200g vegan cream
- 50g unrefined cane sugar
- 1tbs tapioca flour
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Soak the flaxseed in water and leave to one side.
- Place flour and oil in a food mixer and using a dough hook combine.
- Add in the orange zest and juice, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts, and salt.
- Add in the flaxseed and water to the dough.
- Switch off the mixer and fold in 200g of pomegranate. Retain the remainder for garnishing.
- Line a 9 inch circular cake tin with some olive oil. Place parchment paper round the tin so that it covers the edges.
- Fold in the dough mixture into the tin. Cover with aluminium foil for about 1 hour. The cake is baked once a skewer placed into it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing the cake from the tin. Place on a serving dish.
- To make the frosting, melt the vegan cream in a saucepan. And the sugar. Stir for a few minutes under a medium heat until absorbed. Sift in the tapioca flour. Continuing stirring gently for a few minutes.
- Allow the frosting to stand for about 10 minutes before pouring onto the cake. Garnish with the remaining pomegranate.