- 250g sweet potato
- 1tbs coconut oil
- 75g raisins
- 50g Cointreau (French Orange Liqueur)
- 250g “00” doppio flour
- 100g coconut unrefined sugar
- 1tbs baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 100g coconut oil
- 2tbs flaxseed, ground
- 6tbs water
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- zest of ¾ orange
- 200g vegan cream
- 50g unrefined cane sugar
- zest of ¼ orange
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 170 degrees.
- Roast the sweet potato with its skin on in the coconut oil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool down. Discard the skin. (If it is organic, I will quietly eat the skin separately as it is full of nourishment).
- Soak the raisins in Cointreu and set to one side for about an hour.
- Melt the coconut oil and leave to one side.
- Whisk the flaxseed with the water and leave to one side.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the walnuts. On a low setting on the mixer combine.
- Add the oil and flaxseed mixture to the bowl. Combine well.
- Add the vanilla extract and orange zest and continue blending.
- Mash the sweet potatoes and add to the bowl. Bring the ingredients together.
- Lightly oil and line a loaf tin with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the tin. Smooth over the top and cover with aluminium foil. Place in the oven for about an hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before removing the cake from the tin. Place on a serving dish.
- To make the frosting, melt the coconut cream in a saucepan. And the sugar. Stir for a few minutes under a medium heat until absorbed. Sift in the tapioca flour, orange juice and zest. Continuing stirring gently for a few minutes.
- Allow the frosting to stand for about 10 minutes before pouring onto the bread. Place in the fridge for about 15 minutes until the frosting hardens. Add the garnish.
EthiVegan by Edward Daniel
What future would you like to paint? What I say is that it is possible to lead a fulfilling life by going within, living in alignment, letting go of the past and thriving on a vegan diet.
To find out more of what is happening in my life, journey, and travels – as I balance work as a full-time solicitor, being a vegan chef and creating new recipes, speaking at vegan events on animal rights, the environment, spirituality and activism in the United Kingdom and abroad, and write my next book then follow me:
Or, self-published, order your copy of my first book “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” in the three part “Circle of Food” series which is currently out here. Reviews of this book can be found on Amazon here.
My second book in the “Cirlce of Food” series is entitled “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” covers animal rights/welfare and liberation (using my skills as a lawyer), spiritual chapters on living in the present, balancing the masculine and feminine, the Mandela effect, the Universal laws, and has even more recipes and poetry is out in 2020.
As I self-fund all my activities from my work as a solicitor – including self-publishing and attending events it is matter of living in alignment and the Universe in its wisdom will provide – and, of course, I have time to balance it all and simply create.
My end goal is to host my own T.V. show on vegan recipes and on veganism. Please support me in my quest.
Love you all.
Edward Daniel | Servant to Humanity | Second Wave | Chef | Digital Information and Media Solicitor | Author | Poet | Presenter | Former Chair, The Vegan Society