Refried black beans is not exactly an accurate description of this dish. It is actually reheated as you eat the batches. When reheating, just add olive oil.
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 300g black beans
- 700ml water
- 2tbs olive oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- ½tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- 200ml red wine
- Soak the beans in water overnight and discard the water the following day.
- In a pressure cooker, add the black beans with water. Close the pressure cooker and once it starts to steam, cook for 25 minutes. Switch off the heat. Release the steam and give the contents a stir.
- In a fry pan sauté the onion in oil under a medium heat until the onions turn translucent. Set to one side.
- Once the beans are cooked in the pressure cooker, the beans are well softened.
- Add the wine, garlic, chilli powder, smoked paprika, salt and powder.
- Cook under a medium heat and without the lid for a further 5 minutes.
- Season further for taste and serve.