Grip something meaty into your hands. And, bite.
Panfried savoury wheat gluten Seitan basted in a smoky tangy citrus tamarind paprika sauce; Sautéed Barbecue Seitan.
This dish will burst your belief that vegan food can’t be fulfilling.
- When it’s blistering summer and a last-minute barbeque is being called for and you need a “wow” dish to satiate you and your mates
- When Uncle Ben is coming for dinner and a dish let you have a word in edgeways is called for
- When you’ve got a potluck picnic and a dish to appease your cohorts is
Sautéed Barbecue Seitan was inspired when attending a potluck where one of the guests had made these and everyone was salivating over them.
Seitan is a protein rich plant-based meat replacement made from vital wheat gluten and a stable in Asian dishes.
You can find my Seitan dish here.
Sautéed Barbecue Seitan is vegan.
- 400g seitan
- 5og coconut oil
- 50g dates
- 1 orange, juice
- 1 lime, juice
- 1tbs tamarind concentrate
- 2tsb malt vinegar
- 1tsp paprika
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- Slice the seitan and place in a large wok. Sauté the seitan in coconut oil for about three to four minutes. Leave to one side.
- Place the dates, orange, lime tamarind, vinegar, paprika and mustard powder in a blender. Blend well.
- Place the sauce over the seitan. Return to heat for about five minutes.
- Serve warm.