Creamy sweet earthy Swede tossed and fried with delicate nutty rice and red onion garnished with sprigs of parsley.
Grab something creamy and warming down your throat. And, indulge.
This dish will burst any belief that vegan food isn’t easy to rustle up.
- As autumn approaches and you need a warming dish that’ll have you cosying up to the fireplace
- When you’re fed up with just plain brown rice and need a dish to spruce up your left overs and add a little colour to your meal
- When got greens vegetables on the go and need a complementary dish to go with it
Swede Fried Rice was inspired one day when left over rice in the fridge looked unappetising. A thought came to jaunty it up with swede and red onion. Colour and flavour burst forwards.
Swede is a root vegetable grown and endures all over the world. It’s a good source of dietary fibre and assist with restoring microflora.
Swede Fried Rice is vegan.
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 400g swede
- 200g brown rice, left over
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- salt and pepper to season
- Few sprigs of parsley
- Steam the rice in filtered water for about 30 minutes until cooked and set to one side in the fridge.
- Peel and grate the swede.
- Sauté the onion with the swede in coconut oil in a large wok until the onion turns translucent and the swede turns a rich golden colour.
- Toss in the brown rice. Season with salt and pepper. Heat for about 5 to 10 minutes under a medium heat until sufficiently warm. Season to taste.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.