Earthy succulent sweet potato with sweet caramelised onions infused with liquorice-like tarragon; Sweet Potato Onion Soup.
Bring your tempestuous side to the fore. And, indulge.
This dish will topple your belief that vegan food can’t be super nourishing.
- When you fancy a hearty soup as you surround your shoulders with a warm blanket
- When you’ve just had a brisk walk in the blistering cold and need a bite to heat you up in no time
- When you’re rushed for time and need a light broth to set you on your way as you gear up for a big night out
Sweet Potato Onion Soup was inspired when one stark cold evening, I needed a nourishing meal that’d keep me warm as I save my pennies on the heating bill.
Sweet potatoes have a low glycaemic index, good for those suffering from diabetes and others that monitor their blood sugar level.
This Soup is vegan and paleo.
What equipment to use
For this recipe, I suggest:
What to do next
Tag me on @ethiveganquantum on Instagram to show me what you’ve made and let me know you’re happy for me to share.
My recipes are featured in vegan speciality publications: Nourished, Vegan Life, Plant Based and Vegan, Food and Living.
Order my first self-published book, “Essence: The Beginner’s Guide to Veganism” part of the three-part Circle of Food series. My second book “Presence: The Ascending Vegan” – which explores how to maintain a vegan practice is out in 2027 – I have compiled all the chapters including recipes.
Going strong since 2013.
- 1 litre filtered water
- 200g mushrooms
- 4 onions, sliced
- 6tsb olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, grated
- 400ml coconut milk
- Season to taste
- Few sprigs of Tarragon
- In a saucepan, place the mushrooms in water and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Drain and keep the stock. Discard the mushrooms.
- In a large non-stick pan, add the coconut oil and onions. Saute the onions under a medium to low heat until they caramelise. Stir the pan at regular intervals for about 15 minutes.
- Add the grated sweet potato, mushroom stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste. Garnish with tarragon.
- Serve warm.