Tarragon Chestnut Sweet Potato Cakes
Chestnut and Sweet Potato Cakes were created because I had a friend whom I hadn’t seen for ages visiting from Saigon. These cakes have a subtle flavour to them. They make a great accompaniment or addition to a meal.
Author: Edward Daniel
Recipe type: Sides, Main
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 2tbs coconut oil
- 150g chestnuts
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 1tbs baking powder
- 250ml vegan cream
- 200ml vegan milk
- 2tsb apple cider vinegar
- 2tbs bicarbonate of soda
- few sprigs of tarragon
- 2tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a oven proof dish. Baste with the coconut oil. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Puree the chestnuts in a food processor and place in a large mixing bowl with the flour, baking powder. Combine with the vegan cream and vegan milk to form a dough.
- Add the cider vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. Continue whisking.
- Fold in the sprigs of tarragon.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked. Remove the skins. Add to the chestnut mixture.
- Line a 30cm by 20cm baking tray with oil and parchment paper.
- Fold in the mixture and with the back of spatula smooth over. Cover with aluminium foil. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and baste with olive oil.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Use 3-inch cutters to shape into cakes or alternatively using a knife cut into squares.